The Importance of Community
Posted by Justine Clarabut on 23 July, 2020
The word community is, without question, central to human experience
Being part of a community gives us a sense of belonging. It enables us to share personal relatedness and support perpetual growth of each other, ourselves and our environment.
A community can be anything from a physical place where geographically people connect, or via a virtual space such as social media groups or private community platforms. Communities bring like-minded people together with similar characteristics and common interests. Every community operates with specific boundaries to meet the needs of that community.
Having a sense of community
Having a sense of community embraces spirit, character, image and pride and is a vital element of a healthy community. It is a feeling that people within the community matter to one another with a shared faith that their needs will be met through commitment and togetherness. Being a part of a community can make us feel as though we are a part of something greater than ourselves.
Benefits of being part of a community
There are so many positive aspects to being part of a group or community. Providing unique opportunities for people to learn from each other and give support and encouragement are an invaluable part of joining forces with our peers:
- SUPPORT Being part of a community enables us to give support to other members. Being supportive of others will help them to feel good and better about themselves. With so much stress in the busy world we live in, there’s never been a more important time to help others struggling with their mental and physical wellbeing.
- INFLUENCE With community participation comes empowerment. When people feel empowered, they feel a sense of control enabling them to influence positive change. It is about making a difference to a group that matters to its members.
- SHARING stimulates innovation and growth. Ideas breed new ideas. Apart from having personal benefits of gaining knowledge and insight, sharing also contributes to the community’s greater worth.
- REINFORCEMENT can be an effective learning tool to encourage desirable behaviours and provide motivation. A strong community will go beyond the immediate, basic needs and ensure that fulfillment is a positive experience. By doing so, it builds positive rewards and reinforcement for an enjoyable sense of togetherness.
- CONNECTION An open bond with new connections is what builds valuable relationships, and gives us a deeper sense of belonging. It helps us to reach our goals, and brings a sense of security.
- LEARNING/RESOURCES – communities are rich in resources. Having knowledge is a unique resource and through its use, it increases in value.
- PASSION having an outlet for passions gives people the opportunity to share a subject they’re passionate about. This helps to spread confidence and encouragement to create new things that they can share with others.
Our strengths may be someone else’s weaknesses
Being part of a shared space, whether physical or virtual, gives people the chance to be inspired, solve problems, share humour, vent their frustrations and share their achievements. People who stay within a community are the ones that agree passionately with its values and with these shared beliefs, trust and togetherness, there’s no limit to what they can do for their community. Bringing together like-minded people who are headed for the same goal undoubtedly, nurtures a rewarding community.
Join our engaging community..
Our Wellbeing Community (currently a private Facebook Group but soon to be an App on a private online hub) is a virtual space for people that want to achieve the same goal: to live their best life! Our engaging community is where members come together to continue and progress their wellbeing journey to achieve optimal mental, physical and emotional wellbeing in this forever changing fast paced world.